You could check out metasploitable, its a linux VM designed with vulnerabilities built in to it for penetration testing. https://www.hackingloops.com/kali-linux-virtualbox-pentest-lab/  &  https://community.rapid7.com/docs/DOC-1875

This link has resources for additional lab setups for forensics and pen-testing scenarios. http://resources.infosecinstitute.com/hacking-lab/

If you're just looking to encrypt an OS or  hard drive, many Linux OSs offer disk encryption during the setup/install process or you can use trucrypt to encrypt a windows partition/folder or boot drive.

Ben Leslie
Battenkill Valley Supervisory Union
P: 802-375-2589 ext. 144
P: 802-375-6409