Here at Bellows Falls Union High School, we literally just had our school wide robot wars/ LEGO SuMo battle today. It started as a STEM activity in one of my classes that has now become a school wide event.

Freshman, sophomores juniors and seniors pick a team to represent their class. Teams have two weeks to build an EV3 robot that they can remote control with their phones using this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tanas.ca.ev3controller

We have a SUMO arena. It's an old circular table top divided into 4 quadrants, each class paints the quadrant, names their robots, designates a driver and we battle.

The event takes place at center court in the gym, classes all sit together in sections of the bleachers, teams come to the floor, to battle.

The table is propped only 8 inches off the ground.

The battle starts with all four trying to ram each other off the edge. Once your off, the robot falls to the floor and shatters. The arena resets with the remaining teams and continues until there is only one left. The school gets really pumped up.

During the battle students play some intense dubstep to coincided with the robotics.

Other stem things happen within classes, we have students build custom drones that accomplish various tasks, we have students use arduino's and raspberry pi's for various projects. My favorite so far is is a student took an arduino and made a led cube light show. One student took a pi and made a retro gaming station, and rewired a nintendo controller and an snes controller to work via usb. That one is fun, but the pi is only running retropi, so it was very little setup besides the remotes.

I don't have a "lab" space,  I integrate all this between my science classes and my STEM Computer Science class.

We do a lot of other STEM things as well;

-some classes build trebuchet's, some build punkin' chunkin' devices, some build ecosystem monitoring devices, we have had various hydroponic apparatus build for different bio labs,  I currently have two teams of students playing cyber wars (russia vs US), students are often designing, and building things in our science department. We have a close working relationship with our on-site shop courses.

I'd love to chat more, we've always got something going on.