Steve,

I have been playing around with this.  Works fairly well, however, the big catch is the deployment of applications that are not found in the App Store/VPP.  As an example, if you want to include LibreOffice, Firefox or Google Chrome browser, there isn't a way to include these in the deployment via Profile Manager.

I just got off the telephone with Apple Education Support and they confirm that this ability does not exist.  I have completed a request at http://www.apple.com/feedback/ to have this feature be developed...  It would be GREAT if others could do the same...

In the zero-touch process, there is still some touching that the end user (if not you) need to attend to, but with a little education (time permitting, lol) the end users could re-image their own laptop/desktops using Profile Manager.  Unfortunately, looks like I will continue to use DeployStudio for this.

Keith