Intriguing idea but alas not too likely given the empirical evidence from
astronomy.
A greater chance is that ETI is hiding in the asteroid belt, a suggestion
made years ago by the astronomer Michael Papagiannis (see
http://www.setileague.org/editor/papagian.htm).
My own take on ETI and the "galactic club":
http://www.astrobio.net/alien-life/seti-redux-joining-the-galactic-club/