These guys are not particular about time of day.  Their home is so far
north, it's a world where daylight can be only a few hours or nearly
constant and they hunt with their ears, not their eyes.  Your only
problem with late afternoon is that you don't have much time before
dusk, and they can become very hard to pick out as the light dims.

Also, they're not always out in a visible place, although with three up
there, likely at least one is.

FWIW, when I lived in Eastern Mass., a Great Gray settled in for the
winter at a small field on a farm about an hour away, and I made the
trip to admire it about a dozen times (along with crowds of other
birders and gawkers), and it was visible every time I went but one.

Jane
(Shoreham)