On Friday, Ron Payne and I were able to do some counts of the large
assemblage of waterfowl in southern Lake Champlain, now in Panton waters
at Spaulding Bay/White Bay (the bay with Mud Island and Rock Island).
It was done from a private residence (on a bluff at water's edge) a mile
to the south of the birds.  We would have liked to have been closer, but
the only public closer location, Turkey Lane, is at water level and
provided considerable heat distortion.

The total number of waterfowl counted was 4919.  At our viewing the
scaup were mostly in their own raft, whereas the other species were
generally quite mixed.

The checklist is below.

Ian

==========================
Feb 17, 2017 12:34 PM - 1:30 PM
Protocol: Stationary
13 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose  660     Clicker counted by tens.
Mallard  14
Greater/Lesser Scaup  2800     Counted by hundreds. Too far to separate
lesser from greater.
Common Goldeneye  1394     Clicker counted.
Common Merganser  51
Bald Eagle  1
Ring-billed Gull  67
Herring Gull  3
Iceland Gull  1     Gull, white primaries, rounded head. Scaled to
nearby Great Black-backed Gull.
Great Black-backed Gull  1
Downy Woodpecker  2
Black-capped Chickadee  4