Certainly not as exciting as a Great gray, but today we had the fortune to observe a Barred owl at Mills Riverside Park.
We had just embarked on our first snowshoe of the year when we heard a small band of crows  uttering their "we're mobbing a Barred owl" calls.
Quickly scanning the tree tops we saw a Barred owl drop below the forest canopy into a group of pines as the mob flew calling overhead.
Once the mob had passed, it quickly moved up into thicker branch cover.
Whereas the remainder of our snowshoe was quiet (sans mobbing calls) we must assume the owl was successful.

Denis and Maria Poley
Richmond, VT

Sent from my iPhone