Preach! I have a conference call this Friday between an online vendor, IT and me. I highly doubt I'll be able to replicate what is happening--of course it's intermittent and of course it can't be captured by a screen shot. I call it my screen freaking out. IS has a different term, no doubt. The screen flips between the page its already on and the screen it's supposed to link to, back and forth so fast it's dizzying. And with that, there's the whole, redirect to our supposedly remote only access portal, instead of directing linking to the actual websites.

More and more I am regarding online/computer stuff in this way: I may not know the intimate workings of the internal combustion engine in my car, but I know how to drive and I am compliant with routine maintenance etc. Computers should be no more than that. It's a tool. I shouldn't have to know how to code or search the Deep Web or whatever in order to deliver excellent service to my patrons. Would it help have a deeper understanding? Sure. But since things change so fast and apparently with little rhyme or reason (very tired of the supposedly wonderful new bells and whistles; IOW if it ain't broke, don't fix it holds for much of tech, IMO), there seems no point in attempting to achieve mastery.

Or have I become a broken old crone on this foggy and rainy (again!) Tuesday Chicago morning?

-----Original Message-----
From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Estabrook, Alexia
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 8:30 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: CHAT: I Am Not a Tech Person or IS Can Sometimes Be a Hero

I am one of those people that if I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all.  If I had a nickel for every time our IT department said "I've never seen *that* happen before" I could have retired years ago.  I'm also one of those people whose issue will NOT replicate itself when I call the Help Desk.

Alexia Estabrook, MSLS
Librarian 2, Medical Library
Ascension | Providence-Providence Park Hospital
16001 West Nine Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI  48382
ascension.org/Michigan
T: 248-849-3294