this one has always worked well for me...

https://github.com/SteveRyherd/pyRenamer

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 12:10 PM Robert Wickberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
If you have a list of what the file names are, and what you want them to be, it's really easy to create a batch file for Windows, or a script for a Mac, to rename the files, using Excel, a google sheet, or whatever.  For instance, on a PC, if your spreadsheet has the from names in column A, the to names in column B, put a formula in C1 that says

='rename '&A1&' '&B1

Then copy this formula down to all the rows that have file names.  Select column C, copy it, paste it to a text editor.  Save the file in the editor as renamepics.bat, and save it in the same folder as the pictures.  Open a command prompt, change to the directory with the photos, and type renamepics and hit enter.

I could probably do all that in a minute.  I use the same technique for lots of batch operations: creating accounts in active directory, removing old accounts, moving folders around when I do server migrations, changing permissions on things, I could go on and on...

If you don't have a list of before and after to start with, you can always make one just by piping the output of a dir command (ls on a mac) to a file, then import that file into excel, then create the to: file names using another formula.