This:

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 10:02 AM Robert Wickberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I suppose security experts would be horrified, but I've shut off Windows updates using group policies, and only turn it back on during the summer, when I hire an intern who goes around updating all the machines he can get to.  The Windows update service slows machines down a lot, especially for 5-10 minutes after they're turned on, which is when they're most needed, usually, and it causes other problems as well, such as the ones you've all shared.