We have PS too.  They have recommended that we use legal_first_name (middle, last, etc.) as this is in the enhancement pipeline.  We use legal names for any communication that goes beyond the school walls (report cards, transcripts, etc.).  We continue to use first_name as the preferred name.

Christine Gibson

PowerSchool Data Manager
49 Charles Avenue
Middlebury, VT 05753