It's been a while since I've been updating myself on this topic, but the
"housing first" model was being supported at a high level by HUD so I'm not
clear what type of screening would be used to identify candidates for
"housing", since the most successful policies in the past decade or so have
had housing everyone as their starting point (Salt Lake City being a
textbook example, where the homelessness rate was decreased by 90%+ using
the Housing First model). In a very simplistic way, HF argues that the
first priority is housing every homeless person, and then providing the
necessary support and wrap-around services they need to address the causes
of their homelessness. I'm not sure what the alternative offering would be
if a patient was screened and fell short of being an "ideal candidate for
housing"!

But please bear in mind that I worked in Catholic Worker-inspired
communities for most of the '90s....