From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bontekoe, Karen
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2017 9:30 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: CHAT: There are no articles on your subject

Dignityhealth.org made the following annotations
STOP, THINK, READ. This is an external email. Exercise extra caution responding to it, opening attachments and following links.

Do I hear you on this topic! I have both nurses trying to improve things and nurses going back to school who want to work on topics relevant to their work. It has gotten to the point where I can usually tell if there might be some literature on the topic just by hearing it before looking. These are great topics. Things that should be researched but as I tell them, if no one has published it makes it really hard to find.

As for those crazy requirements for what articles qualify for nurses in school, this is truly one of my biggest pet peeves and a lot of my APNs and nurse educators know how annoying this is to me. I mean if a technique for preventing falls worked 10 years ago, what has changed that would make that not valid today? Then telling them to find "evidence-based articles" so then the poor nurses are looking for articles that specifically state that they are evidence-based. Aaaarrrrgggggggghhhhhhh!

Karen Bontekoe
Medical Librarian
Kaweah Delta Health Sciences Library
Kaweah Delta Health Care District
400 W. Mineral King
Visalia, CA 93291-6207
Phone 559-624-2677
Fax 559-635-4051
NOTICE: WARNING CONCERNING COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research.” If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of “fair use,” that user may be liable for copyright infringement.