So different, Targhee and JH. Hard to say which I liked more.

Skied 1 day plus one run at GT; 4 days at the much closer JH.

S afternoon at GT
M afternoon at JH
T afternoon, very warm, at JH
W one single run, freezing rain and big wind, at GT
T afternoon, warm at JH
F afternoon, warm at JH

If distances had been equal I would have done closer to half and half.
Probably.

What I donıt know is how much different conditions affect the two places. My
first day at GT, I had what in retrospect turned out to be beautiful groomed
conditions. Itıs a special place, hauntingly beautiful, intriguing trail
layout (reminded me of a gigantic Sutton) and tons of solitude. I spent my
time on the Dreamcatcher and Blackfoot lifts, skierıs right.
My return day, Wednesday, the Jackson town forecast was for rain, so I
guessed maybe itıd be a bit cooler at GT. (While the peaks are similar
altitude, GTıs base is higher than JHıs.) Be careful what you wish for.
There was indeed no rain at GT that afternoon. Instead, fierce, wind-blown
graupel that stung the face, turned visibility to about 2 yards, and
rendered the trails hard as stone. At least at the higher elevations.
Unfamiliar with the trails, and unable to see where the traverses dropped
off, I was hating it.  The lower half of the mountain skied nicely, but the
lifts all take you to the peak. I left, got a free voucher for a return day
this season (guest services said, ³If you can see, it ainıt da Œghee.²), and
gave it to a very grateful local hitchhiker.

JH is a big, sprawling, bustling, Kmart type of place. Its size and
steepness is awesome. It has no sense of mystery. You are never anything
close to alone. I remember once reading on the list how you can find tree
shots at western areas untouched because no one bothers with them. With each
of my four days at JH, I concentrated more and more on those, mainly on the
slow, slow Marmot double, plus some on the Thunder and Sublette chairs, and
from all of those chairs onto their southfacing slopes. There were open
woods, steep by my standards, directly under the lifts‹you could scout them
on the way up‹and I found excellent snow there. (JH actually has signs for
where they keep the good snow; they read, ³Caution.²)
So there I was, threading my way through barely skied woods (one stretch
reminded me of the first open area on MRGıs 20th), and never once out of
sight of the crowds. Itıs a fun place, but not soulful. And everything
costs. (You can sneeze for free. Thatıs about it.)
Conditions were warm, snow was soft. Fixed-heel skiers were complaining it
was too heavy; I was loving it.

Which do I prefer? On the plane back, I sat next to  a woman who spends a
week at GT every year and I gotta admit, that sounded pretty good. But I
loved having the fine food markets in Jackson, Wyoming, and ate well in my
condo at night (Herb-Marinated Peppers and Tuna; Baked Rigatoni with
Spinach, Ricotta and Fontina; Orecchiette with Sausage and Arugula; Baked
Shells with Pesto, Mozzarella, and Meat Sauce; Sauteed Mushrooms With
Shallots and Garlic; Pasta with Tuna, Walnuts, Lemon, and Herbs; yum).
Driggs, Idaho looked pretty spartan in comparison. If I went back (unlikely;
this was an amazing opportunity; thanks, kind lister), Iıd probably split
time again between the two, more evenly than I did on this trip.

Thanks laSH and Ranger, for encouraging me to visit GT. So glad I did. And
thanks to the many listers who offered tips and advice. Trip worked out
well.

--tn