Hi All,

Back in the 1990s when Nancy and I lived near Albany, New York we saw a
Barred Owl eating earthworms one late March evening. The owl sat on a fence
and pounced on worms when they appeared on the soil's surface during an
early spring rain. I expect a diet of worms is a largely spring phenomenon
before amphibians and reptiles are more numerous later during the warm
months. I imagine Barred Owls also haunt vernal pools to snack on
salamanders and frogs in early spring.

Good Birding,

Walter Ellison

Chestertown, Maryland

--
Observing Nature is like unwrapping a big pile of presents every time you
take a walk