I made a lifelong friend in circumstances like that.  Going on my
regular walk along a small suburban river full of ducks during the
winter 20 years ago, I saw a woman my own age sort of hunkered behind
some bushes and staring at one of the ducks, a flashy male Hooded
Merganser.  As I approached, she glanced at my binos, looked up at me,
pointed at it and demanded, "What the hell is that?!"

Jane
(Shoreham)