This morning, about 7:30, Middlebury, South Street Extension, just south of the woods, a large woodpecker with a totally black back (not a pileated) flew across the road and landed on a telephone pole.  I got an excellent, albeit brief look.  It appeared larger than a hairy.  There was no color, red or yellow, on the head, but I could have missed that.  I was looking directly at the birdís back as I drove by; it was definitely ALL BLACK.

Unfortunately by the time I slammed on the brakes and backed up the bird was gone.  I suppose this could have been an aberrant hairy.  Iíve never before seen a black-back anywhere near Middlebury.

Iíll be out looking again, but I hope someone else might want to poke around to either reinforce the sighting or shoot it down.

Bruce Peterson