From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Library
Sent: Friday, April 07, 2017 9:15 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: PubMed Citation sensor (was Citation Matcher ... )

Hi all,

This is mostly in response to Eleanor Truex's post about the "Citation
Sensor."  I can't recall the actual numbers, but at a recent PubMed class,
it was mentioned that librarians are no longer the largest group of PubMed
users, so we're now a minority.  Citation sensor, which, as Helen Houpt and
others have pointed out, has been used for years without knowing it had a
name, has gone through some changes over the years.  I can remember using it
at least 15 or so years ago.  Then for a while it didn't work how it did
before, and now it's back the way it was, if that makes any sense.

So, I guess the moral of this story is that we should expect changes that we
don't like, as PubMed is no longer geared only to librarians.  Hopefully, we
are still better searchers than others  - I know people still come here and
say they couldn't find what they were looking for in PubMed.  Hopefully that
will last until I can retire someday in this century. :)

And, if NLM does something you can't stand, make sure you let them know.  I
believe that they still want to help us.  I've written about things, and I
know they've asked me for examples of how I use certain features so they can
forward to the developers.  Like, how hard is it to put a checkbox to select
everything on a page?  Or put a "top of page" link in the clipboard display?
<rolleyes>

Best,
Madeleine

Madeleine M. Taylor, MLS, MA
Medical Librarian | Health Sciences Library St. Joseph's Healthcare System
703 Main Street, Paterson, NJ 07503
Phone: 973.754.3590 | Fax: 973.754.3593
[log in to unmask] | www.StJosephsHealth.org

*** Important Notice About St. Josephs emails *** St. Josephs Regional
Medical Center is using Zix to encrypt any e-mails containing Protected
Health Information (PHI).  If you receive an encrypted email from a person
at St. Josephs the body of the message will indicate that you have a "New
Zixcorp secure email from St. Josephs Regional Medical Center."  You will
need to click on the link in that email to retrieve the message.  For more
information please visit
http://www.uapguide.com/st-josephs-hospital-and-regional-medical-center/intr
oduction.  For help in retrieving a secure email that youBve received from
St Josephs please go to
http://www.uapguide.com/st-josephs-hospital-and-regional-medical-center/rece
iving-encrypted-email.

CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION
THIS TRANSMISSION IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHICH IT
IS ADDRESSED AND CONTAINS INFORMATION THAT IS CONFIDENTIAL. IF YOU HAVE
RECEIVED THIS COMMUNICATION IN ERROR, PLEASE DELETE THE EMAIL AND CONTACT
THE SENDER IMMEDIATELY. THIS INFORMATION MAY HAVE BEEN DISCLOSED TO YOU FROM
CONFIDENTIAL RECORDS AND MAY BE PROTECTED BY FEDERAL AND STATE LAW. THIS
INFORMATION MAY INCLUDE CONFIDENTIAL MENTAL HEALTH, SUBSTANCE ABUSE, ALCOHOL
ABUSE AND/OR HIV-RELATED INFORMATION. FEDERAL AND STATE LAW PROHIBITS YOU
FROM MAKING ANY FURTHER DISCLOSURE OF THIS INFORMATION WITHOUT THE SPECIFIC
WRITTEN CONSENT OF THE PERSON TO WHOM IT PERTAINS, OR AS OTHERWISE PERMITTED
BY LAW. ANY UNAUTHORIZED FURTHER DISCLOSURE IN VIOLATION OF THE LAW MAY
RESULT IN A FINE OR JAIL SENTENCE OR BOTH. A GENERAL AUTHORIZATION FOR THE
RELEASE OF THIS INFORMATION MAY NOT BE SUFFICIENT AUTHORIZATION FOR FURTHER
DISCLOSURE. =