I'm throwing this out there as a Hail Mary sort of thing... Here is the actual question: "I started researching a little further to find out if there was anything in the literature about conscious sedation (CS) NOT being beneficial in the operating room setting. Unfortunately, I could not find any good evidence supporting this. Can you?"

So, this APN wants to know about NOT using conscious sedation in the OR. There is tons on using CS in outpt settings such as GI labs, clinics, Urgent Cares etc., but I can't find much of anything against its use in the actual OR. I can't find it really mentioned at all.  She wants material showing that CS is NOT to be used in the OR for procedures such as "face lifts" or "breast augmentations".  I have to say, I've been beating my head on my desk. I find trying to find "negative" results much more difficult than positive ones. Any guidance is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Eleanor Truex BSN, RN, MLIS
Medical Librarian, Lakeshore Region

THIS IS THE POWER OF COMPASSION.
THIS IS PRESENCE.

Presence
Saint Joseph Hospital
2900 North Lake Shore Drive | Chicago, IL 60657
Office: 773.665.3038
Internal: 81.665.3038

Presence
h Saint Francis Hospital
355 North Ridge Avenue | Evanston , IL 60202
Office: 847.316.2460
Internal: 81.847.2460
presencehealth.org<http://www.presencehealth.org/>

Connect with Presence Health
Find a Doctor<http://www.presencehealth.org/physician-directory> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/PresenceHealth> | LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/company/presence-health> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/PresenceHealth> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/user/PresenceHealth>

Sponsored by Presence Health Ministries