Here's a summary of the responses I received from my question around freely available polling software/websites.  Thank you to everyone who chimed in!

https://www.polleverywhere.com/
free account limits the participation to 40 responses (others said 25)

I've seen Socrative used by at least one McGill prof; Socrative has a free version (with limitations): https://www.socrative.com/pricing.html

I used it during the prof's lecture and found it fairly straightforward.

When we have a WebEx going there is a way to have people vote.  You can set up a question and use radio buttons to list the answers.  The tabulated results appear on the screen.

You can also have people raise their hands for a yes or no question.

So you could provide a webex link (or equivalent) for people to sign on using their phones at a live in-house presentation.  The results would appear on the screen.

If you use Wordpress they allow you to really easily insert a poll.  It's free and works really well - I've used in loads of times.

Another product I have been looking at is Kahoot.  They offer surveys, quizzes, etc.  I think it isn't as easy to use/implement as Poll Everywhere IMHO.

https://create.kahoot.it/login

I was just at a presentation where three of these were used. I don't know if they are free or not, but they were each great in their own way, so you may want to at least check for cost - Kahoot, PollEverywhere, and mentimeter.

You might look at Survey Monkey. There is a free version as well as one that costs.

I have used Socrative, https://www.socrative.com. It works well in my experience. I think there are limits on numbers of simultaneous users if you have the free version. I have used it in computer labs, so users are all sitting at a computer.

I have seen Participoll, http://www.participoll.com, but not used it in a real situation. It uses mobile devices and I think users can send responses by text as well as by mobile internet.

Brooke Ballantyne Scott, MLIS
Department of Evaluation and Research Services

Librarian - Royal Columbian Hospital
Contact Librarian - Maternal, Infant, Child and Youth (MICY), Mental Health & Substance Use (MHSU), Nursing, Primary Health Care and Renal Services

t: 604-520-4755
e: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Library Services, Royal Columbian Hospital
330 East Columbia Street
New Westminster, BC   V3L 3W7

QP please think of the environment before printing this email

In accordance with Canadian copyright law<http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-42/index.html>, the attached document is to be used solely for the purpose of your research, private study and education. You are permitted to print a single copy and are required to delete the electronic version within five days. You must not store, forward or distribute the electronic version. By making any use of the attached document you acknowledge your understanding of these statements. You are solely responsible for your adherence to the law.