Thanks everyone for sharing all of your experiences.  Yes, this is in part
to E-911 Compliance as well as general telephony upgrade.  For the most
part we have already pulled Cat6 or there is existing network drops to each
classroom/location.  There are pros and cons to every issue.  Sometimes
those pros become cons depending on the environment (and vice versa).
Having a good sharing of information is sooooo helpful.

Thanks again and keep sharing if you have anything to offer.

Keith

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Steve Jarrett <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> We found VOIP the most efficient way to provide voicemessage-to-email, and
> be 911 compliant.
>

> Steve Jarrett
> District Technology Supervisor
> Chittenden East Supervisory Union
> 211 Bridge Street
> Richmond, VT 05477
> 802-858-1729 <(802)%20858-1729>
> www.cesuvt.org
>
> On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 1:40 PM, Steve Ligett <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> We chose uniform - by the door - placement since subs, paras, etc. may
>> need to find the phone and the cost to move phones to teacher-desired
>> locations. (Haven't gone to VOIP here. Not convinced we need/want to.)
>>
>> On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 12:58 PM, Leslie, Ben <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>> I asked this same question a while back during our plan to migrate to
>>> VoIP (it hasn't happened yet).  Some factors that played a role in our
>>> decision.
>>>

>>> 1) our current phones, in most cases are placed at the door (old cat 3
>>> cable / RJ11 connectors), moving to VoIP would require running new CAT5e or
>>> CAT6 cabling.
>>>
>>> 2) our classrooms have plenty of existing CAT5e cable all around the
>>> rooms for flexible placement.
>>>
>>> 3) for safety reasons during a lockdown, you DO NOT want to be at the
>>> door, making an emergency call.
>>>
>>> I'll be placing our new phones on desks, mounted on walls or near the
>>> teacher's primary work space or where the teacher finds it most convenient
>>> for them.
>>>

>>> Ben Leslie
>>> Battenkill Valley Supervisory Union
>>> P: 802-375-2589 ext. 144 <(802)%20375-2589>
>>> P: 802-375-6409 <(802)%20375-6409>

> This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational
> Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). If this e-mail contains student information
> and you are not entitled to access such information under FERPA, please
> notify the sender. Federal regulations require that you destroy this e-mail
> without reviewing it and you may not forward it to anyone.

Keith Puffer
Technology Coordinator
Washington West Supervisory Union
340 Mad River Park, Suite 7