I asked this same question a while back during our plan to migrate to VoIP (it hasn't happened yet).  Some factors that played a role in our decision.

1) our current phones, in most cases are placed at the door (old cat 3 cable / RJ11 connectors), moving to VoIP would require running new CAT5e or CAT6 cabling.

2) our classrooms have plenty of existing CAT5e cable all around the rooms for flexible placement.

3) for safety reasons during a lockdown, you DO NOT want to be at the door, making an emergency call.

I'll be placing our new phones on desks, mounted on walls or near the teacher's primary work space or where the teacher finds it most convenient for them.

Ben Leslie
Battenkill Valley Supervisory Union
P: 802-375-2589 ext. 144
P: 802-375-6409