It was going around here big time, I called Google tech support, and got
busy signals, which has never happened to me before, but eventually I got
through, and they put me on a list of people to email with updates.  So
here's the last word I received:

"We realize people are concerned about their Google accounts, and we're now
able to give a fuller explanation after further investigation. We have
taken action to protect users against an email spam campaign impersonating
Google Docs, which affected fewer than 0.1% of Gmail users. We protected
users from this attack through a combination of automatic and manual
actions, including removing the fake pages and applications, and pushing
updates through Safe Browsing, Gmail, and other anti-abuse systems. We were
able to stop the campaign within approximately one hour. While contact
information was accessed and used by the campaign, our investigations show
that no other data was exposed. There’s no further action users need to
take regarding this event; users who want to review third party apps
connected to their account can visit Google Security Checkup"

All the emails I received from this scam got moved to my spam folder
overnight.