we have GG and use it's tracking feature, but the device needs to be put
into a lost OU and then booted/rebooted

The way that works, it has never actually found a device for us (all have
been found the old fashioned way) but I consider it an add on to GG, not
the reason we have GG, so this limitation is not an issue.

I assume that others have been able to use it though.

Who is working on a statewide contract for GG?