I learned that disabling the device in the admin console was a bad approach if you ever hope to get the device back.   What I did do one year, that worked amazingly well, was to change the wallpaper to a big red warning that the device has been reported stolen.   We got several back that way.

Bjorn Behrendt M.Ed ~ Never Stop Learning