If you’re going to do this a lot, I highly recommend getting a wire label maker: https://www.bradyid.com/en-us/products/labels-and-tapes/labels/wire-and-cable-labels/wire-and-cable-labels-for-portable-printers  Get nylon labels, not vinyl.  They’re much better.

As far as color, we use: blue for data, white for phones, green for wireless, yellow for cameras, red for uplinks, etc.  Doesn’t really matter as long as you create and follow your own standard.

-Dan

From: School Information Technology Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Keith Puffer
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2017 4:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Network Cable ID

Infrastructure folks (or those that have an opinion):

How, or do you, label your network cables?  Write on zip ties?  Color labels directly on cable?  Different color for different purpose?  Different color patch cables?

Trying to get a what works and what doesn't...I am wanting to label/ID at my schools so that if someone where to take a look at one, it would make sense at another location.

Thoughts?  Opinions?

Thanks, enjoy this Summer weather and see you Monday at Dynamic Landscapes 2017!

Keith

--

Keith Puffer
Technology Coordinator