We standardized our colors last year. Green for APs, Blue for LAN, Black for phones, Orange for HVAC/Security, and Red for WAN or servers (DHCP, Firewalls, etc.).

On Fri, May 19, 2017, 8:30 AM Robert Wickberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Our campus was renovated a decade ago, each wing was ripped down to it's shell and completely rebuilt.  The company that installed the cables wrote on the cables with sharpies, but only at the far end.  I find those readable, for the most part, but I don't usually have to, because when they installed the box covers, they labeled the jacks with the port # in the wiring closet using a brother label maker, or something similar.  Problem I had was I sometimes needed to trace in the other direction, and I had nothing.  So one summer I had an intern go around to each classroom and make me a spreadsheet of which port numbers are in which room.

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 8:13 AM, Dan Roswell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

If you’re going to do this a lot, I highly recommend getting a wire label maker: https://www.bradyid.com/en-us/products/labels-and-tapes/labels/wire-and-cable-labels/wire-and-cable-labels-for-portable-printers  Get nylon labels, not vinyl.  They’re much better.

As far as color, we use: blue for data, white for phones, green for wireless, yellow for cameras, red for uplinks, etc.  Doesn’t really matter as long as you create and follow your own standard.

-Dan

From: School Information Technology Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Keith Puffer
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2017 4:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Network Cable ID

Infrastructure folks (or those that have an opinion):

How, or do you, label your network cables?  Write on zip ties?  Color labels directly on cable?  Different color for different purpose?  Different color patch cables?

Trying to get a what works and what doesn't...I am wanting to label/ID at my schools so that if someone where to take a look at one, it would make sense at another location.

Thoughts?  Opinions?

Thanks, enjoy this Summer weather and see you Monday at Dynamic Landscapes 2017!

Keith

--

Keith Puffer
Technology Coordinator