I agree with a wire labeller for a district.   There are standard labellers out there that do both normal labels and wire labels so dual - function..

We use a Brady IdPAL 6555w for this purpose.

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 8:13 AM, Dan Roswell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

If you’re going to do this a lot, I highly recommend getting a wire label maker: https://www.bradyid.com/en-us/products/labels-and-tapes/labels/wire-and-cable-labels/wire-and-cable-labels-for-portable-printers  Get nylon labels, not vinyl.  They’re much better.

As far as color, we use: blue for data, white for phones, green for wireless, yellow for cameras, red for uplinks, etc.  Doesn’t really matter as long as you create and follow your own standard.

-Dan

From: School Information Technology Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Keith Puffer
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2017 4:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Network Cable ID

Infrastructure folks (or those that have an opinion):

How, or do you, label your network cables?  Write on zip ties?  Color labels directly on cable?  Different color for different purpose?  Different color patch cables?

Trying to get a what works and what doesn't...I am wanting to label/ID at my schools so that if someone where to take a look at one, it would make sense at another location.

Thoughts?  Opinions?

Thanks, enjoy this Summer weather and see you Monday at Dynamic Landscapes 2017!

Keith

--

Keith Puffer
Technology Coordinator

Craig Donnan
Network Administrator
Chittenden Central Supervisory Union
Essex High School
p. (802) 857-7000 x.1030

If you need immediate assistance please contact

For Technology News click here.

The information contained in this communication, including
any attachments, is confidential,constitutes privileged
communication, and is intended only for the use of the addressee.
This message may not be forwarded without prior consent from
the sender. The information in this e-mail is also protected
by the rights afforded under Family Educational Rights and
Privacy Act (FERPA) and school district policies. Any unauthorized
use, forwarding, distribution,disclosure, printing or copying is
communication in error, please notify us immediately at 802-879-8192
or return e-mail,and delete any copies of this message immediately.
Any inadvertent disclosure of this communication shall not compromise
the confidential nature of the communication.