When I did a career day at my kids' middle school, I brought my Nancy Pearl Librarian Action figure (with amazing push-button shushing action!)  How many professions have action figures! I highlighted the different kinds of libraries and librarians, and that there was a fit for introverts or extroverts, and book people or computer people ... there's lots of great cartoons these days about the magic of books too.

Lis Lubar Unger
National Library of Medicine
Collection Access Section\Systems\DOCLINE

"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant nation."
~ Walter Cronkite