Good morning everyone,

Given all the recent flood and flash flood warnings, including the one issued for later this morning through tomorrow evening in Northern Vermont, we have refreshed our online Archives and Records Management Handbook guidance on water-damaged paper records. While we hope no one has to use guideline, you can find the link here: https://www.sec.state.vt.us/media/857349/vsara_handbook_waterdamagedrecords.pdf

While it's difficult to prepare for an emergency, when there is advance notice of a storm or other major weather event, there are steps you can take to mitigate damage to your records. If your office hasn't already, please take the time to identify and prioritize the safeguarding of essential records that cannot be recreated if destroyed. For those who participated in the Vermont Prepares programming a few years ago, this information will be in your emergency preparedness plan.

The Northeast Document Conservation Center (NEDCC) also offers free 24/7 emergency phone assistance for records-related issues. The number is 855-245-8303 and more information is on their website: https://www.nedcc.org/free-resources/disaster-assistance/emergency-phone-assistance.

Thank you and I hope everyone has a good (and dry) 4th of July!

Tanya

Tanya Marshall, State Archivist
Vermont State Archives & Records Administration
1078 U.S. Route 2, Middlesex
Montpelier, VT 05633-7701
802-828-0405 (tel.) | 802-828-3710 (fax)  | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>