http://www.baltimoresun.com/health/bs-hs-cancer-trigger-20170625-story.html
JOHNS HOPKINS RESEARCHERS SAY THEY'VE UNLOCKED
KEY TO CANCER METASTASIS AND HOW TO SLOW IT

by Carrie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
The Baltimore Sun
June 16, 2017

Hasini Jayatilaka was a sophomore at the Johns
Hopkins University working in a lab studying
cancer cells when she noticed that when the cells
become too densely packed, some would break off and start spreading.

She wasn't sure what to make of it, until she
attended an academic conference and heard a
speaker talking about bacterial cells behaving
the same way. Yet when she went through the
academic literature to see if anyone had written
about similar behavior in cancer cells, she found nothing.

Seven years later, the theory Jayatilaka
developed early in college is now a bona fide
discovery that offers significant promise for cancer treatment.

Jayatilaka and a team at Johns Hopkins discovered
the biochemical mechanism that tells cancer cells
to break off from the primary tumor and spread
throughout the body, a process called metastasis.
Some 90 percent of cancer deaths are caused when
cancer metastasizes. The team also found that two
existing, FDA-approved drugs can slow metastasis significantly.

"A female patient with
<http://www.baltimoresun.com/health/breastcancer/>breast
cancer doesn't succumb to the disease just
because she has a mass on her breast; she
succumbs to the disease because [when] it spreads
either to the lungs, the liver, the brain, it
becomes untreatable," said Jayatilaka, who earned
her doctorate in chemical and biomolecular
engineering this spring in addition to her
earlier undergraduate degree at Hopkins.

"There are really no therapeutics out there right
now that directly target the spread of cancer. So
what we came up with through our studies was this
drug cocktail that could potentially inhibit the spread of cancer."

The study was published online May 26 in the
journal Nature Communications. The next step for
the team is to test the effectiveness of the drugs in human subjects.

Typically, cancer research and treatment has
focused on shrinking the primary tumor through
chemotherapy or other methods. But, the team
said, by attacking the deadly process of
metastasis, more patients could survive.

"It's not this primary tumor that's going to kill
you typically," said Denis Wirtz, Johns Hopkins'
vice provost for research and director of its
Physical Sciences-Oncology Center, who was a senior author on the paper.

Jayatilaka began by studying how cancer cells
behave and communicate with each other, using a
three-dimensional model that mimics human tissue
rather than looking at them in a petri dish. Many
researchers believe metastasis happens after the
primary tumor reaches a certain size, but
Jayatilaka found it was the tumor's density that
determined when it would metastasize.

"If you look at the human population, once we
become too dense in an area, we move out to the
suburbs or wherever, and we decide to set up shop
there," Jayatilaka said. "I think the cancer
cells are doing the same
thing."<http://www.baltimoresun.com/health/maryland-health/bs-hs-parker-solar-probe-20170609-story.html>

When the tumor reaches a certain density, the
study found, it releases two proteins called
Interleukin 6 and Interleukin 8, signaling to
cancer cells that things had grown too crowded
and it was time to break off and head into other parts of the body.

Previously, Wirtz said, the act of a tumor
growing and the act of cancer cells spreading
were thought to be very separate activities,
because that's how it appeared by studying cancer
cells in a petri dish, rather than the 3-D model
the Hopkins team used. Many researchers study
only cancer cell growth or its spread, and don't
communicate with each other often, he said.

Once the cancer cells start to sense the presence
of too many other cancer cells around them, they
start secreting the Interleukin proteins, Wirtz
said. If those proteins are added to a tumor that
hasn't yet metastasized, that process would begin, he said.

The team then tested two drugs known to work on
the Interleukin receptors to see if they would
block or slow metastasis in mice. They found that
using the two drugs together would block the
signals from the Interleukin proteins that told
the cancer cells to break off and spread, slowing
 though not completely stopping  metastasis.

The drugs the team used were Tocilizumab, a
rheumatoid arthritis treatment, and Reparixin,
which is being evaluated for cancer treatment.

The drugs bind to the Interleukin receptors and
block their signals, slowing metastasis.

Though metastasis was not completely stopped,
Jayatilaka said, the mice given the drug cocktail
fared well and survived through the experiment.
She said adding another, yet-to-be-determined
drug or tweaking the dose might stop metastasis entirely.

Contrary to the hair loss, nausea and other
negative side effects patients undergoing
chemotherapy suffer, Wirtz said the side effects
from the drugs used in the study would be minimal.

Anirban Maitra, co-director of a pancreatic
cancer research center at the MD Anderson Cancer
Center at the University of Texas, cautioned that
clinical trials in humans are needed to prove the theory.

"There's a risk that something that looks so
great in an animal model won't pan out in a human," he said.

But Maitra said the study looked promising, in
particular because the researchers had used drugs
already on the market. It can take a decade to
identify a drug that would perform similarly and
get it approved, and many similar observations
don't advance because of the time and expense it
can take to get drug approval, he said.

Muhammad Zaman, a professor and cancer expert at
Boston University, called the Hopkins discovery "exciting."

"This paper gives you a very specific target to
design drugs against," he said. "That's really
quite spectacular from the point of view of drug
design and creating therapies."

Zaman said it was important for cancer
researchers to use engineering to better
understand cancer, as the Hopkins team did.

"This really brings cancer and engineering
together in a very unique way, and it really
takes an approach that is quantitative and
rigorous," he said. "We have to think of cancer
as a complex system, not just a disease."

Wirtz predicted a future where cancer would be
fought with a mix of chemotherapy to shrink the
primary tumor and drug cocktails like the one the
Hopkins team developed to ensure it would not
metastasize. He compared such a treatment to how HIV/AIDS is treated today.

"We're not going to cure cancer with one therapy
or even two therapies; it's going to be drug
cocktails," Wirtz said. "That's what saved the day with HIV/AIDS."

Immunotherapy, which uses the body's immune
system to fight cancer, also could play a role in
a combined method, Wirtz added.

"We're, in research, sometimes incentivized to
look at one pathway at a time, one type of cancer
at a time," Wirtz said. "I think oncology has
started realizing we're going to need more than one approach."