From: Anne Petermann <[log in to unmask]> <[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>
<[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>
<[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>
Hi Mitch,
<[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>
<[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>
Let's put aside the "invasiveness" question of eucalyptus trees for a moment.
<[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>
<[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>
Eucalyptus trees are the number one tree used in industrial timber plantations all over the world.  Plantations that have caused massive deforestation in Brazil, Chile, Portugal and have replaced biodiverse native grasslands in South Africa.
<[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>
<[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>
They are also the top tree being genetically engineered for traits included herbicide resistance, faster growth, reduced lignin and freeze tolerance.
<[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>
<[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>
The USDA hopes to approve GE freeze tolerant eucalyptus trees for vast plantations across the coastal plain and gulf coast of the Southern US.  Estimates of half a billion trees planted per year.  This will lead to expanded deforestation in the Southeast.
<[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>
<[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>
And the fact of the matter is, eucalyptus trees, especially as the age, become extremely flammable, as we saw in Portugal last week and in Chile in January--and in both areas the fires were also fueled by pine plantations.
<[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>
<[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>
However, since the release we put out is trying to stop the unprecedented approval of GE eucalyptus trees in the US, we focused on their role in the fires.
<[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>
<[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>
Eucalyptus plantations have caused not only ecological destruction, but human rights abuses--especially against Indigenous Peoples and peasants in countries like Brazil and Chile.  They also deplete water.  Communities in Brazil and Chile and South Africa are all suffering exacerbation of water crises, some have no water at all, due to the water-greedy eucalyptus plantations.
<[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>
<[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>
One can be a fan of the eucalyptus tree but still be clear that industrial plantations of eucalyptus are extremely destructive.
<[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>
<[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>
Thanks,
<[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>
<[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>
anne