Did it, on Sunday, 5/28.  Just one run on the summit snowfields, long slow climb back up, it gets a bit steeper and longer every year.  Then hanging out, appreciating the views and the conversations with other practitioners and fans of the big mountain.  Not much of a story there.  But, if you'll indulge me there is a backstory.

Rotator cuff surgery on the right shoulder was in November.  4 torn ligaments, one a complete rupture with 5 cm if retraction, plus a torn labrum.  No skiing for 6 months said the doc.  Everything was clean with no fraying, the best prognosis for full recovery.   Rehab and wait.  By early Feb. range of motion and strength began coming back faster; I felt like skiing again.  The Sierra, now my backyard playground, was in the midst of a snowfall record year.  Did a few days of cross country and in early March resumed downhilling.  The first 3 days were powder days, the first, with a 16 year old grandson for company, being the best.  The count for the season is now up to 15 and I've enjoyed it immensely.  What I have not done yet is ski with high energy and abandon, as I once did.  The shoulder begins telling me to back off.  Not yet; not anything steep.  The summit snowfields run was the biggest mental challenge yet on the road back.  The rehab process is now mental.

Three weeks ago, at Mt. Hood, the thought occurred, 'you've had a great run and it isn't over yet, but your window for adventure skiing is closing.  Better get after it, because you don't know how many years are left.'

In June I will try another bucket list run, Beartooth Pass.

Sent from my iPad