This is the third spring I've lived here in Red Lodge, and it's the first one with a big snowpack on the pass. There were lines getting skiing opening weekend that haven't been in since I've been here, and it seemed like everyone in Bozeman got the message. I spent more time away from the crowds than near them, but the skiing was pretty damn good everywhere, and while some stuff has melted out since, there's still a lot of good turns to be had.

Reefer Ridge Bowl:

Looking back up Made for Aces, which probably would've skied 300% better two hours later:

The next couloir over, which was a new run for me this year (skied Sunday of opening weekend):

(looks much less intimidating from down here, of course)

Exiting down into the valley below:
Crossing the creek (which is now probably a Really Bad Idea, water is a lot higher and there aren't any helpful snow bridges left):

One of the skinnier lines on Gardiner Headwall, which has since melted out at the choke:

With a little context:

The diagonal chute I've heard called both 'Showtime' and 'Femur Couloir'; to looker's right of that is Hourglass, and to looker's right of that is the main line on Gardiner Headwall. Hourglass and the main line are definitely still in, although the narrow portion of Hourglass is probably a little skinnier now; the main line should be skiable well into July. The wall to looker's left has some skiing that's still in, too, but I don't know what, if any the named lines out there are.

Top of Rock Creek Headwall, opening weekend:

Rock Creek Headwall, Saturday this past weekend:

Looking at '57 Chevy last weekend (looker's right of the photo, sadly melted out beyond what I'm willing to ski with that amount of pitch):

I'm not to post my photos from Beartooth Basin, because there are a bunch of better photos and videos kicking around from the same weekend (check out Kinzley Photography at https://www.facebook.com/Kinzley-Photography-200380773322060), but it's a damned cool place. All you really need to know is that it's two pomas, short vertical but sweet terrain, and tickets are $20 for a power hour, $35 for a half day, and $45 for a full day, available in the Ticket Office...which is a trailer in the parking lot up top.