Question for the PubMed experts: Why is "van der" sometimes part of a surname in a PubMed citation and other times it is removed? For example, PMID: 22417251 has a "van der Kwast T" (and also a "de" author name in "de Koning HJ") but PMID 21934601 (likewise published in 2012) abbreviates the author name Winette Tita van der Graaf as "Graaf WT" without the "van der" (and "Filip Yves De Vos" is "Vos FY" without the "de").

Is there an NLM fact sheet or bulletin, etc. that addresses this? I found "particles such as 'van der' were moved from the suffix position to the beginning of the last name" at https://www.nlm.nih.gov/bsd/mms/medlineelements.html but this doesn't address why it's sometimes removed entirely. From a referencing standpoint, I assume it's always better to go with how the author names are on the article itself, not the PubMed citation. Thanks for any insights.

Mark Vrabel, MLS, AHIP, ELS
Information Resources Supervisor
Oncology Nursing Society
125 Enterprise Drive