Hi Martha,
Justin is correct. It pulls the data from all of our checklists to populate
whatever area or hotspot you request for illustrated checklists. So if you
want to add an image or sound, you must add it via a checklist. If you only
have an image or sound and no  complete checklist, if you know the date,
you can add it via an incidental or historical checklist type.

Also, folks have noticed and commented that some of their images and sounds
are not showing up. There are two reasons. First, if you added them the old
way before eBird allowed uploading directly (such as Flickr tags in
comments), then there is no image to use. That just showed your image using
HTML when one looked at the checklist. So you have to go back to those old
checklists and actually upload the images and sounds to them and delete the
HTML in the comment boxes that used Flickr. The second reason it won't show
up is if it is rare or out of season and flagged for review. It won't show
up until one of the county coordinators reviews the data and it becomes
valid in eBird.

Thanks so much for contributing to Vermont eBird!

Kent

Kent McFarland
Vermont Center for Ecostudies
PO Box 420 | Norwich, Vermont 05055