From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Isabelle, Jean Paul
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2017 10:07 AM
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: minutes at public meeting prior to special town meeting

Hi Susan.

Is this the public informational hearing required when using Australian ballot (17 VSA 2680(g))?  If so, the election law just passed by the legislature clarifies that the board is responsible for the minutes at that hearing.  Here is the language from the statute and a link to our unannotated election law.

https://www.sec.state.vt.us/media/858314/title-17.pdf

(g) Hearing.

(1) Whenever a municipality has voted to adopt the Australian ballot system of voting on

any public question or budget, except the budget revote as provided in subsection (c) of this

section, the legislative body shall hold a public informational hearing on the question by posting

warnings at least 10 days in advance of the hearing in at least two public places within the

municipality and in the town clerk's office.

(2)(A) The hearing shall be held within the 10 days preceding the meeting at which the

Australian ballot system is to be used. The legislative body shall be responsible for the

administration of this hearing, including the preparation of minutes.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have other questions or need further clarification.

Thanks

JP

JP Isabelle

JD- VLS 2011

Elections Administrator

Vermont Office of the Secretary of State

128 State Street

Montpelier, VT 05633

Phone: 802-828-2304

Fax: 802-828-2496