At St. Albans Town Beach this morning, I watched an Osprey behavior that I
haven't seen before.  It was cruising slowly just a few feet above the
water, slowed to stall speed, and plunged into the water.  It remained
submerged for a few seconds, then popped to the surface and floated
somewhat gull-like (though not as buoyant).  After about 10 seconds it took
off and repeated the whole process, about 4 or 5 times.  It then flew to a
tree on Hathaway Point Rd, where it stayed until after I left.  It didn't
appear to be trying to catch anything.  Sometimes it splashed in the water
a bit after resurfacing.  Was it just bathing?  Very strange behavior, at
least I don't recall ever seeing this.

By the way, there was only one shorebird on the beach this morning--a lone
Semi-palmated Plover.  There were no shorebirds when I visited on Sunday
morning 8/27, and 2 SEPLs on Friday morning 8/25.  Still waiting....

--Ken Copenhaver