I tested out a few different systems:

PRTG (windows based) - easy to setup, but the free version is limited to
100 sensors...and each device could use multiple sensors, especially if
it's a server OS.

Observium (linux) was another one played with for a bit.

I setup openNMS and liked it, but ultimately settled on LibreNMS, a forked
version of openNMS. both are open source, LibreNMS had a nicer GUI in my
opinion.  Both take some linux command line setup and text config file
editing, but nothing to daunting.

Turnkey linux (https://www.turnkeylinux.org)is a great way to download
barebones virtual machines preconfigured with all the necessary
applications for a huge variety of applications.

Ben Leslie
Battenkill Valley Supervisory Union
P: 802-375-2589 ext. 144
P: 802-375-6409