I like having accounts on any kind of computer that kids log into, that isolates their profile  so other kids can't see it.  On the few machines where there's just one generic account, kids will log into Chrome, say, and the next kid will come along and fire up  Chrome, and be automatically logged into the first kid's account.

We use active directory, it works pretty well.  Biggest issue is sometimes the machine say network accounts aren't available, even though I can log into a local account and then see the server just fine.