Ok, so after completely following Bjorn's directions (update your chromebook, especially if it's an "extra" that has been sitting on a shelf since September), printers are up and running.  I'm still not sure why the cloud printers went offline, but I love this solution so much more anyway.  A blessing in disguise!

Edith Fogarty, M.Ed
Technology Integration Facilitator
Bradford Elementary School
143 Fairground Rd