Chromecast works as long as the device is on the same VLan.  So Desktops
can cast to Chromecast, and it has nothing to do with wifi SSID.

The pin will not work because it expects the connecting device to have
mobile data.  The way we do it is to have the student and staff on separate
VLans.   It works but I do wish there was more security with it.

A couple other tips:
1. CC first generation only have a 2.4Ghz connection, and can overheat
easily.   CC second generation has both 2.4ghz ad 5ghz radio's and can
handle data much better.  I force ours to connect to a hidden 5ghz ssid
that is on the same Vlan as the teachers.  This has eliminated a lot of the
connecting and streaming issues that we had when we first launched them.

2. CC's are hard-coded to use dns 8.8.8.8.  This was an issue in our
network because we have a dns based content filter and block google's DNS
so  students can't bypass us.   We had to create a firewall rule for each
one to allow 8.8.8.8.

3. CC's need to access the internet and streaming sites without needing to
log in.  Even if the teacher has access, the CC only receives a url not a
mirror, so it will be blocked on the CC.

As I mentioned in my earlier post that CC's are defiantly a consumer
device, but with some networking and planning we were able to make it work
reliably in our network, and at $35 each we were able to put it everywhere.

*   [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> | **Blog: *Edlisten.com
<http://edlisten.com/>