Chromecast works as long as the device is on the same VLan.  So Desktops can cast to Chromecast, and it has nothing to do with wifi SSID.

The pin will not work because it expects the connecting device to have mobile data.  The way we do it is to have the student and staff on separate VLans.   It works but I do wish there was more security with it.

A couple other tips:
1. CC first generation only have a 2.4Ghz connection, and can overheat easily.   CC second generation has both 2.4ghz ad 5ghz radio's and can handle data much better.  I force ours to connect to a hidden 5ghz ssid that is on the same Vlan as the teachers.  This has eliminated a lot of the connecting and streaming issues that we had when we first launched them.

2. CC's are hard-coded to use dns 8.8.8.8.  This was an issue in our network because we have a dns based content filter and block google's DNS so  students can't bypass us.   We had to create a firewall rule for each one to allow 8.8.8.8.

3. CC's need to access the internet and streaming sites without needing to log in.  Even if the teacher has access, the CC only receives a url not a mirror, so it will be blocked on the CC.

As I mentioned in my earlier post that CC's are defiantly a consumer device, but with some networking and planning we were able to make it work reliably in our network, and at $35 each we were able to put it everywhere.

Bjorn Behrendt M.Ed ~ Never Stop Learning