From my internal phone person:
You can either have your phone service provider handle 911 - and they often work with a 3rd party, or you can manage yourself.  Fairpoint evidently uses or hires MicroData

She says: " In order to manage your numbers you need to pay an annual fee to maintain a NENA account (National Emergency Number Association)...."

There are significant benefits from managing the numbers internally in terms of response time and control, but it is a management task either way.

I don't have more on setting up a NENA account, but I know there are schools doing it, and I believe Burlington is setting something up now.