Mandi, I don't have any prior knowledge of the journal, but I shudder to think what peers it may have called on to review the paper.  I did read the article you found by John W. Oller; let me comment on that.

It is good of its genre, which is the intellectual field known as Intelligent Design: the argument that there must be a God because order can't arise from non-order.  I have read a number of other specimens of this genre.  They don't all make the enormous non-sequitur leap that the required God has to speak to humans in the words of the English Bible; Oller seems to make this leap implicitly (does he think it's too obvious to need supporting evidence?).  I don't think that any level of competence in the domain of Intelligent Design argumentation would make him especially credible on the subject of safety of vaccines.

Chandler

On 2017-11-11 5:45 PM, Mandi Smallhorne wrote:

Does anyone know anything about this journal?

Open Access Library Journal (OALib Journal) is an open access and peer-reviewed, scholarly journal. The goal of this journal is to provide a platform for scientists and academicians all over the world to promote, share, and discuss various new issues and developments in the Science, Technology and Medicine.

“All manuscripts are subject to a rigorous and fair peer-review process. Generally, accepted papers will appear online within 3 weeks.”

Two of the authors of this paper seem to have had no other publications – both of them, Felicia M Clements and Jamie Ryan Pillette, are liberal arts graduates. Shaw and Tomljenovic are widely reported to be leading lights in the anti-vaccine world – they had a paper retracted in Vaccine last year – and John W Oller is an expert on language acquisition. One published article of his that I can find is this, http://www.icr.org/article/words-genetic-linguistic-problems-for-evolution/ , sub-titled “Evidence for Creation”.

I would be very interested and grateful to hear from those who are better qualified to assess the content of this paper than me. If true, this would be a terrible scandal; if not, this would fan the flames of distrust of medicine. I would like to offer feedback to the many members of science journalism associations in Kenya and East Africa.

 well writt

Regards

Mandi Smallhorne

Freelance journalist and writer

President:

African Federation of Science Journalists

SA Science Journalists Association

Board member:

World Federation of Science Journalists