From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jean Slepian
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2017 2:08 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Less Is Not More: Rejecting resilience narratives for library workers

Very interesting article ... in hospital libraries, doing more with less is not just a , "badge of honor" ....  it feels like what we need to do to keep our jobs.  The hospital industry has been incredibly volatile for the past 10 years and we've seen many, many  of our valued colleagues  disappear .  Here in New Hampshire when the Legislature eliminated Medicaid  uncompensated care payments to hospitals in 2011 several of our largest hospital libraries closed overnight.  I know that my reaction was to take on as many extra roles as I could to try to make myself indispensable.
So  how do we make ourselves indispensable without projecting unlimited resilience and burning out ... I haven't figured that out yet... it's a good thing I'll be retiring soon !
Jean
Keene NH