At St Albans City School we had the philosophy that we wanted the teachers to use their school provided laptops and become as proficient with them as possible.  They were encouraged to take them home over the summer.  They were expected to keep them updated, use their school Google account to keep a cloud based backup and learn appropriate browsing habits to keep the machines free from malware.

Because imaging can cause loss of a person's data and work we would only use it to recover from "issues".  Thankfully imaging has become much less traumatic because almost everyone is using the cloud.

There are still holdouts.  One in recent memory needed her laptop booted from a linux CD to have her her files rescued after her Windows became corrupted.  Once she got her machine back she insisted she absolutely had to have Microsoft Office installed, so she could make the same mistakes over again.  Just because a person is an excellent teacher doesn't mean they are tech savvy.  We don't make the rules to accommodate the exceptions - most of our people are really tech savvy and we don't create our policies because of the few holdouts.

Craig Lyndes
Retired