I don't remember such a feature... Micheal
But I played with your slide deck and came up with a workaround that was similar
Create a Textbox and made it transparent and change the order to the background then played around in the Insert Animation so ON Click would do something not noticeable (like make the transparent textbox fade out)
But honestly  that's more work than your work around..

The only things I remember is about Slide advancing was the publishing features has a way to make the slide advanced automatic - but no disable.

I see that Google Slides has a script editor that I don't remember being there before
might you be able to created a script that achieves the effect -
would that script go with the slide if you create a copy... have not worked with Scripts in Google slide

I'm looking at Eric Curts work to see if he has a solution to your idea with his Create Your Own adventure recipe
http://www.controlaltachieve.com/2016/11/docs-cyoa.html