I've seen this as well, usually accompanied with an error about the "monitor is not getting along with your chromebook".

I also found that it was just on the login screen, and if I was able to guess where to click to log in as the user, the issue would go away and the chromebook would function normally.

The error made me think it was an issue with the hardware, or possibly the background image being displayed. A reboot usually did fix it and I haven't seen the issue resurface in a while. Very curious if anyone has any information on it though.