A new study in the BMJ indicates that "man flu" is real. Since I was out for four weeks earlier this year (Occupational Health wouldn't let me come back to work) and spent a night in hospital (for observation, until they got tired of looking at me), I am delighted for the confirmation. From the abstract:
------
"Man flu" is a term so ubiquitous that it has been included in the Oxford and Cambridge dictionaries. Oxford defines it as "a cold or similar minor ailment as experienced by a man who is regarded as exaggerating the severity of the symptoms." Since about half of the world's population is male, deeming male viral respiratory symptoms as "exaggerated" without rigorous scientific evidence, could have important implications for men, including insufficient provision of care.

Despite the universally high incidence and prevalence of viral respiratory illnesses, no scientific review has examined whether the term "man flu" is appropriately defined or just an ingrained pejorative term with no scientific basis. Tired of being accused of over-reacting, I searched the available evidence to determine whether men really experience worse symptoms and whether this could have any evolutionary basis.
------
Link: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.j5560 There's a podcast, too.

Just one little thing-it's part of the Christmas 2017 feature articles; when I looked at the BMJ's home page, it was right above the article "Does Peppa Pig encourage inappropriate use of primary care resources?"

Fred King
202-877-6670
ORCID 0000-0001-5266-0279
MedStar Authors Catalog: http://medstarauthors.org

I got a new kitten just to have another password I could remember.
--Paula Poundstone